Thursday, March 24, 2005

30,000 feet up in the air

Well here I am 30,000 feet in the air above Osaka putting pen to paper (which has been translated into finger to keyboard lol). I can truly say I have accomplished my dream of coming to Japan so now I guess the dream becomes one of self discovery, adventure and outwards understanding of those around me.

It still isn't setting in, the fact that I'm no longer in Australia, but in not only an entirely different country, but an entirely different culture that functions in a totally opposite way to Australia. Part of the realisation not setting in would have to do with the fact I have caroline (my best friend) and my other friend Amanda with me for most of the trip so far (Amanda went her seperate way at Narita, but Caroline will be on camp with me in Fukuoka) and also because all the exchange students speak a large amount of english (as do the AFS staff we have met so far)

I've been pretty happy with the way I have been able to handle myself as a first time international traveller. I've managed to keep myself well presented and not looking like I just pumped myself full of heroine before I entered customs (this I am most impressed with) and I kept my long sleeve business shirt free of wrinkles, bad odours and spotless over 2 flights totalling 12 hours (15 if you include airports and transfers)

I've been making lots of really cool new friends. At the moment the coolest is probably a girl called Valentina (what a cool name!) from South America, followed by an American called Alex and a European called Bjorn.

It was hell killing 6 hours standing in one place in Narita airport!!!!! Though it was really funny when I went to the bathroom to change my shirt, I paused for a second "hang on, I'm in a bathroom stall in Japan applying deodarant and changing my shirt......... Nah still feels like I'm in Sydney lol"

Some Japanese reactions to seeing such a huge group of white teenagers have been unbelievable. I had 3 little boys staring at me open mouthed for about 2 minutes this afternoon, it was hilarious.

Anyway homesickness is still yet to strike (will it strike? I am having to much fun!) and if it does I'm sure you will hear about it.

More stories to come,
Jieshi